Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Parliament by the numbers
02-11-2019, 04:54 PM
Parliament by the numbers
I find this an interesting story, no more and no less.
My only comment is that desperate times require desperate actions.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-11/l...pPXcl_I0Zk

Rorting politicians are a drain on the public purse.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-11-2019, 07:51 PM
RE: Parliament by the numbers
I wasn't aware that the Libs being in desperate straits was a secret. Seems pretty obvious. This shows how much they trust the Labor Party, and the crossbenchers, to provide a pair. I wouldn't trust any of them on either side either.
02-11-2019, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2019 07:58 PM by Warri the Wombat.)
Yes, it is about trust. That they thought that Labor would renege indicates to me that they would consider that same tactic if the boot was on the other foot.

However, Labor did not renege even though the temptation must have been compelling. It is prudent to remember that conventions broken in the present come back to bite you in the future.

Cross benchers aren't involved in pairing arrangements.

02-11-2019, 08:07 PM
The boot has been on the other foot ... in 1975. The circumstances were a little different but it was an appalling breach of expected protocol.
The ghost of the Dismissal must still haunt the halls of Parliament. The temptation for vengeance probably still haunts Labor too.

Come to think back on it, that was all down to Queensland politicians too! Maybe we shouldn't wait for them to 'secede from the Union' and kick the buggers out before they make any more trouble. [Image: yellow-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif]
02-11-2019, 08:13 PM
Whitlam opened the door to the NSW and Queensland skullduggery by sending Vince Gair to be Ambassador to Ireland? The Vatican? Too clever by halves and it set the stage for his downfall.

02-11-2019, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2019 10:13 PM by Di Wundrin.)
Whitlam was no match for old Joh Bjelke P. in the smarts department.
Note that it was Joh, not dopey Fraser who struck the blow.