Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
This is very unpleasant
02-13-2019, 11:42 PM
This is very unpleasant
[Image: 51596659_2306986469326133_26769696600872...;amp;ssl=1]

Tragedy in the North

Please donate if you can .... even you Max.

The world has succumbed to smarmy spreadsheet magic pudding nonsense about wind and solar that simply does not add up.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2019, 08:13 AM
RE: This is very unpleasant
all the land is owned by chinese billionaires in cahoots with gina Reinhart and peter holmes a court innit?
aided by the sultan of brunei ??
sending battlers money to billionaires makes sense I guess..... Blush
02-14-2019, 01:43 PM
Sorry, but I don't donate to Go Fund Me sites. Too open to scamming and I cannot be sure who will receive the funds. I will donate to the Red Cross or to other well established organisations. My church runs appeals to assist people doing it tough after natural disasters but the money is used to support families, not businesses.

Businesses have to rely on government assistance, insurance and benevolent banks. In other words, they are between a rock and a hard place. Good on the ladies for their effort but I choose not to contribute. I would contribute to a disaster appeal by the Queensland government if one starts up. Let me know if it does.

Rorting politicians are a drain on the public purse.
02-14-2019, 01:59 PM
qld govt recommends red cross, salvos, st vinnies, uniting care.
no government appeal i can see.

https://www.qld.gov.au/emergency/emergen...p-disaster
02-14-2019, 02:12 PM
There was a local charity run in Concord, (church ladies but ones that I knew well) who had a pretty good idea.

Instead of money they asked for clothing in good condition which would be worn by people who have lost their belongings or couldn't get back to their homes for them.
Also skin and hygeine products face towels and little 'luxuries'. It was mainly aimed at the women and kids out West after a very bad flood along the Lachlan from memory.

They reminded us that not all are size 12 or 14 out there and larger sizes would be most welcome.
I could sure help out there.
I was size 22 and had bought some clothes that had hardly been worn or not at all due to second thoughts on getting them home.
I figured though that if I had nothing else I would be pretty pleased to wear them until I had the chance to get better ones so into the box they went.

Along with talcum powder (from mum's stash, I hate the stuff) soaps, washers hand towels all out of the hall cupboard which was packed tight with them, mum hoarded the damned things, and never missed them.) Also new undies, no one thinks of the undies and a couple of boxes of tissues and some mens hankies and a few pair of new men's underpants and singlets. (Our men had died but we still had a lot of their stuff laying around in drawers.)

The ladies had rounded up a few blokes who would drive it out to Bathurst and meet a delegation from the affected areas and transfer the donations with no middle men involved.
It seemed a better way to handle it than dumping it at the Salvos knowing most would be sold as rags and the few dollars sent to people with nowhere to spend it on clothes.

Like you I'm loath to trust these little Go Fund Me outfits, call me wary.

I staked a couple of hay bales to that one recently, mainly because I knew someone who was driving a truck to deliver it and that it was being bought with the donated money.

But it does make a difference when there is a more secure 'connection' between the donor and recipient. Too many stories of charity collectors coming ino sudden unexplained wealth to trust them much.
02-14-2019, 02:45 PM
(02-14-2019 01:43 PM)Warri the Wombat Wrote:  Sorry, but I don't donate to Go Fund Me sites. Too open to scamming and I cannot be sure who will receive the funds. I will donate to the Red Cross or to other well established organisations. My church runs appeals to assist people doing it tough after natural disasters but the money is used to support families, not businesses.

Businesses have to rely on government assistance, insurance and benevolent banks. In other words, they are between a rock and a hard place. Good on the ladies for their effort but I choose not to contribute. I would contribute to a disaster appeal by the Queensland government if one starts up. Let me know if it does.

I didn't know there was a GoFundMe site .....

I donated to the Salvos who should be able to get some relief to those who really need it, not to Chinese billionaires.

The world has succumbed to smarmy spreadsheet magic pudding nonsense about wind and solar that simply does not add up.
02-14-2019, 02:58 PM
giving goods/clothing has fallen out of favour.
i seem to remember in the recent past charities asking people not to donate goods /clothing but just give cash.
The amount of stuff taken from salvos straight to the tip is incredible.
people just dump their rubbish in the charity bins.
not a fan of charities, that's why i never give nuffin'.....Blush
02-14-2019, 04:39 PM
Yes you're right Max, it wouldn't be practical on a large scale. It was a one off that they had going on a kind of 'adopt a town' basis, and a long time ago.

There's a good point they make that giving cash means that the locals will spend it locally and keep businesses going.

After a flood though most of the shops would be in the same condition as the rest of the town ... but it is a good point.