Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
am I a hermit ?
02-17-2019, 06:50 AM
am I a hermit ?
Am I in danger of becoming a hermit ?
I don't go anywhere further than maybe Mittagong once or twice each month to shop, or go to the club for lunch.
.....and maybe to Goulburn once each year to get my overalls from the workwear shop.
I haven't been near the coast for a holiday for about six years and have no interest in going anywhere at all.
I despise Sydney with all the crime, racial turf wars, stabbings, shootings, muggings, congestion, pollution, noise and traffic.....and the bloody motorway tolls.
I only go there when absolutely necessary such as when my wife undergoes surgery at Prince of Wales Hospital.
I love living the quiet life where I am. I have no friends apart from the farm manager where I work. I regard him as the best person I know.... of course, with the exception of my wife.
We have no social life......we don't get invited out, nor do we invite anyone in.
We just pot around at home, doing everyday chores, fixing things, enjoying our wildlife critters and watching Netflix.
......and yet, we're happy with our lot.

Is this "normal" ?
or are we hermits ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2019, 05:12 PM
RE: am I a hermit ?
You are a bit isolated but if that doesn't worry you, so what?

Libertarians are like house cats. They are convinced of their fierce independence while utterly dependent on a system they neither appreciate nor understand.
02-17-2019, 10:38 PM
"I have no friends apart from the farm manager where I work."

I'm a bit upset .......

[Image: BabyUnhappy2.jpg?dl=0]

PS: We're much the same. Apart from the occasional visit from the sons, DILs and the grandkids, we do our own thing most of the time. Last Thursday was an exception when I got together at Garden City with a few old Aussie Post friends.

We do go back to the old stamping grounds a couple of times a year, once for the annual Redcliffe State High reunion and another time to catch up with old friends and family, a 'cousins reunion' of sorts.

We have a couple of local cafés we visit regularly ...... that's about it for our social life. Oh, I should mention that the car now drives itself to the doctor.

Terra, I still envy where you live and hope that we might come by that way sometime in the future ..... after calling on Di on the way of course.

Tailoring the world economy around the climate cult's demands is akin to demolishing your house to avoid the risk of it catching fire one day.
02-18-2019, 07:22 AM
How remiss of me to say I have no friends.
My goff buddies are my go-to every day....
my other best friends.
02-18-2019, 09:47 AM
Tezza! welcome to my world. I have no long term friends left other than those here on Goff either.

Of the few I counted close friends throughout life, and not just acquaintances, two have died, one doesn't remember me, and the rest have drifted to other interests.
I took the initiative to 'disappear' from a couple who I felt would be better off without me, they had their own family issues and problems taking their time, they owed me none of it.

But it doesn't depress me, they were friends because like me they weren't in need of constant contact and keeping up to date on intimate secrets and gossiping about trivial stuff. We were all 'loners' to some extent with interests beyond who was bonking who, although we'd have a laugh over it depending on who it was.

I don't miss having people around sympathizing, I miss having the physical help with some of the chores that I'm willing to pay for. My next best friend will be whoever turns up to clean out the places I can't access.

I think the statistics tell us that far more people live alone and friendless than was ever suspected.
You and Don still have your wives, you're not alone, but as Warri says if it doesn't bother you that you're less than gregarious so what?
02-18-2019, 11:25 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2019 11:26 AM by terra.)
Ta for saying it's OK to be weird ! Tongue
I do like my own company. and I have other interests.
I couldn't live without my pewter.
I'm quite clever with it.....I can pull it apart, destroy it, rebuild it, upgrade it, keep it clean and free from malware.
I also have fun with my old "foamie". The FMS1280, a styrene remote control model aircraft. Yeah.... it's a cheapie at the bottom end of the RC world, easily smashed but easily repaired with gorilla glue and packing tape. I can fly without my body leaving the ground with about a half kilometre range in any direction.
My pilots skills were picked up from YouTube as well as my Microsoft flight simulator programme.
My favourite site for learning is with a couple of air-heads on Flite Test.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sourc...nlk8DpqZVk
02-18-2019, 02:33 PM
yer be needing a drone then?
Fly one near an airport and you'll never be alone ever again.
people will come knocking....Blush
02-18-2019, 09:19 PM
[Image: yellow-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Just the one Tezza? You must be a better pilot than most.
The cousin in Singleton's husband is a mad model plane addict, he bought a big camper van and a trailer that would hold horses to carry the planes when he goes to the big meetings they hold all over the place. He hates flying!
My cousin was just a few hours short of getting her pilot's licence when she was diagnosed with breast cancer and the whole idea got shelved. She never did go back to it.
Pity as we seldom see them due to the 5 hour drive. But he'd rather drive than fly anyway unless he's changed recently.

But don't be jealous, his cost a bomb to fix when he breaks them, glue won't do it, but you probably have more fun not being worried about it than he does. Good for you, a great hobby.
02-19-2019, 07:46 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2019 07:56 AM by terra.)
Yep.... I do have another plane. It was my first one, about four years old.
It's a Hobbyzone Duet, a twin engine smaller plane, very lightweight 3 channel plane which limits the aerobatics that can be performed. Also impossible to fly in any wind above 3 or 4 mph.
But....it still gets the odd outing.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&sourc...NHS6eWcsI9
03-03-2019, 12:42 PM
Terra old Son i to am a little but more isolated since i lost my driving license
now i rely on Ozcare serviced for my needs but, i was quite happy living
on the property pottering about, why, because i am happy living with myself
and in my view its a gift.

Soooooooo brother we have it made all i need is a bed a shower and a feed
all the basics for existancs , its a lovely feeling when a butcher bird has enough
confidence to hop onto your knee or the magepie running around your feet
for a feed and the Kangaroos lying on you verandah in the shade you don't get
that in Sydney.