Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to greet a world leader
04-02-2019, 11:08 AM
How to greet a world leader
I'm assuming you have all seen the video of Jacinda Ardern extending her hand to Scott Morrison only to have him rush in and give her a big hug.

Let's overlook this faux pas of unsolicited physical contact and see how he shakes her hand.

[Image: n324d2.jpg]

Now see how Bill Shorten shakes her hand

[Image: 2nqch7o.jpg]

If you are wondering why Jacinda's body language is so different in each photo, just look where each man has his left hand.

Labor victory means Murugappan family set to return home to Biloela Heart
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2019, 11:22 AM
RE: How to greet a world leader
How is this a faux pas? Morrison Hug. It looks to me like a compassionate man reacting after those distressing events.

People see what they want to see.

Both PM and Shorten got a decent smile and PK would have approved of Morrison's approach. Idea

“The climate system is a coupled non-linear chaotic system, and therefore the long-term prediction of future climate states is not possible.” - IPCC 2001
04-02-2019, 11:32 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2019 11:37 AM by Warri the Wombat.)
Thanks for the link. I can see where the photo of Morrison shaking her hand came from and his left hand is acquitted of misdemeanour but his right hand is now accused of excess pressure. She walks away shaking hers to restore the blood flow.

You will note however that before hugging Waleed Aly she asks him if it is all right to do so. It is not OK to just rush in, especially when the other person is not a family member.

PS I love the story about the Budget car rental in Brisbane.

04-02-2019, 12:06 PM
Did anyone notice where Jacindas hands and arms were as Scomo approached? They were up and extended for a hug!

Got that right about seeing what we want to see, and it's an excellent example of never taking a still photo on it's apparent 'merits'.

The photo with Bill shows me a cold man who she is trying to include in the moment. But, that's what I want to see.

I hate casual huggers, always have. I liked to be cuddled by people I liked but fought off hugs from those I didn't know or like. We weren't a demonstrative household, and maybe that's the reason, but being approached by people I've barely met for a hug sets up my fight or flight responses.

Being hugged by politicians borders on phobia! [Image: yellow-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif]
04-02-2019, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2019 12:28 PM by Warri the Wombat.)
(04-02-2019 12:06 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Did anyone notice where Jacindas hands and arms were as Scomo approached? They were up and extended for a hug!
Look again. Her right hand was extended to receive a handshake but when it was obvious that he was coming in for the bear hug she responded to avoid embarrassment.

Got that right about seeing what we want to see, and it's an excellent example of never taking a still photo on it's apparent 'merits'.
I agree on that point.

The photo with Bill shows me a cold man who she is trying to include in the moment. But, that's what I want to see.
Yes it is. I see eyes and body language that indicate genuine pleasure to see him. They are known to each other.

I hate casual huggers, always have. I liked to be cuddled by people I liked but fought off hugs from those I didn't know or like. We weren't a demonstrative household, and maybe that's the reason, but being approached by people I've barely met for a hug sets up my fight or flight responses.
I'm not a spontaneous hugger or a kisser either. My family wasn't demonstrative, not even at home. We shared a kiss or hug when one of us was departing on a journey but hardly ever for anything else.

Being hugged by politicians borders on phobia!
I once had my hand shaken by the PM of Canada - Brian Mulroney. We were in Ottawa and he was in campaign mode. I was nonplussed.
[Image: yellow-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif]

04-02-2019, 12:36 PM
I had a far more horrendous brush with political fame.
Billy McMahon tried to shake mine!!
I pulled it back well out of reach and brushed him.

I was still a Labor voter then, but I think I'd probably still react the same way today.

I lived in his electorate, Lowe, but that's the only time anyone ever remembered seeing him there.
04-02-2019, 03:52 PM
(04-02-2019 12:06 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Did anyone notice where Jacindas hands and arms were as Scomo approached? They were up and extended for a hug!

Being hugged by politicians borders on phobia! [Image: yellow-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif]

I hate hugs too. I would never hug someone I wasn't close too.

For famiy it is just a quick hug and cheek kiss then let go. The only people I 'linger' with are my sons and granddaughters. Even then I take the cue from them.