Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cut off from the world for a while
05-18-2019, 09:56 AM
Cut off from the world for a while
Disaster has struck both computers in this house.

My cranky old lap top went flat because I had unplugged it and then thought I had replugged it but it was another appliance altogether. Upshot is the old battery will not recharge now.

Not worth buying a new battery now. Time for a new computer.

Meanwhile hubby, on the desktop PC responded to a prompt for an upgrade and Microsoft seems to have removed his favourite mold browser and set him up with chrome and Bing. He can't find anything now including his emails and I'm not much help as I am still as blind as a bat for close work. My new specs aren't ready yet and won't be until after a second eye test on Friday next. One thing is sure - I definitely need reading glasses.

I have had great difficulty accessing site I had on a menu bar on thel laptop. I can't find how to show the favourites bar on the desk top at the moment.

Once in, I can read and post because I can magnify text but nothing is easy ATM. If you don't hear from me don't worry. It is the technology that is sick, not me.

Nationals don't need a science watchdog, they need a science guide dog. Paul James Fitzgerald. Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2019, 10:13 AM
RE: Cut off from the world for a while
Hey Warri, have you tried something as simple as a large magnifying glass ?
Maybe something like those ones on a stand that needlepoint and hobbyists use.
I have one and I use it a lot.
05-18-2019, 10:46 AM
Warri, if you rely on the laptop screen, you could buy an external monitor.

I recently bought a cheap Philips 32" that I attach to my laptop via HDMI. It has made a big difference for me. This is a much-reduced image:

[Image: MonitorPicture_Small.jpg?dl=0]

Larger image: Philips 32" monitor sitting on bespoke monitor stand

The world has succumbed to smarmy spreadsheet magic pudding nonsense about wind and solar that simply does not add up.
05-18-2019, 10:55 AM
I'm empathising furiously Warri. I melt into panic at any hiccup with Maxine. Being offline is a sentence of exile to me. Get a new one, stat!

Look after your eyes too.

Bad news on the family front, Cuz's daughter's eye surgeons have given up hope of saving her eye. It keeps collapsing! Some very rare form of glaucoma caused or aligned with particularly thin walls which can't contain the eye fluids and it leaks out ... hard to even think about. They even did a 'stem cell' patch. The patch is healthy but the parts it was attached to have collapsed and can't hold it.
Poor girl, barely 40 with kids still at school and the knowledge that her other eye will degrade in the same way over the next year or two.

I can't even imagine life totally blind. She's an action dynamo, holding down 2 jobs to pay off the house and always a brightly practical 'doer'. How will she survive like that? Unthinkable. Cuz is gutted of course. He's angry that nothing can be done. He hates that. Don't we all though?
05-18-2019, 11:52 AM
bugger. have you shopped around?
i've been looking at a new dell xps15.
must.resist.no franking credits...Blush
05-19-2019, 09:09 AM
Bought a new slimline laptop/tablet yesterday.
It's still in the box but I'll start setting it up soon.
Meanwhile I'm using hubby's.

Gotta go now. TTFN

Nationals don't need a science watchdog, they need a science guide dog. Paul James Fitzgerald. Tongue
05-19-2019, 11:20 AM
Good onya Warri !
Nothing like a new pewter !
.....almost as good as a new chainsaw !
05-19-2019, 11:26 AM
(05-19-2019 11:20 AM)terra Wrote:  Good onya Warri !
Nothing like a new pewter !
.....almost as good as a new chainsaw !

On a par, I think. Idea

The world has succumbed to smarmy spreadsheet magic pudding nonsense about wind and solar that simply does not add up.