Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Sharp move or shifty?
07-12-2019, 12:51 PM
Sharp move or shifty?
How to sidestep legislation 101. From the Australian.

Quote:Diamonds are a property developer’s best friends in Queensland

BySarah Elks,
Queensland Political Reporter

9:32AM July 12, 2019

Queensland’s Liberal National Party will introduce a new “diamond” class of membership to circumvent the state’s ban on property developer political donations.

The party’s state convention has today backed a resolution to create the new “diamond membership” class, which allows property developers to pay extra for LNP membership and get free entry to fundraising events such as cocktail parties.

Annastacia Palaszczuk’s Labor government introduced a ban last year banning property developers from donating money to local and state government candidates, politicians, and parties.

Former LNP president Gary Spence – who is classed as a property developer under the laws – unsuccessfully challenged the legislation in the High Court this year.

LNP acting president Dave Hutchinson told the party’s state council that “diamond membership” would carry all the rights and privileges of a member, and allow free registration for state convention, state council meetings, free admission to gala dinners, cocktail receptions, and other fundraisers.

“For those wondering what this is all about, this is a class of membership that’s allowed under current state legislation that effectively prohibits property developers from participating in our party,” Mr Hutchinson said.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/...072cbba924

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and your nose runs."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2019, 02:35 PM
RE: Sharp move or shifty?
Here's an idea: Scrap all rules and allow open slather because the smart operators are going to find devious ways to influence parties. Idea

Off you go .... Big Grin

At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. - P J O'Rourke
07-12-2019, 03:27 PM
Or close the loopholes as fast as they come to light.

07-12-2019, 04:23 PM
"Sharp move or shifty?" sounds both to me. Confused

But what is the alternative to sponsored candidates?
Public funding? but then who would qualify and who not?
What if everybody wants to run as Independents? Who gets to choose which should have their campaign funded?

Wouldn't we then only get people like those luverly American politicians who can fund themselves? Like Pelosi, and of course, Trump?
07-12-2019, 05:04 PM
(07-12-2019 04:23 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  "Sharp move or shifty?" sounds both to me. Confused

But what is the alternative to sponsored candidates?
Public funding? but then who would qualify and who not?
What if everybody wants to run as Independents? Who gets to choose which should have their campaign funded?

Wouldn't we then only get people like those luverly American politicians who can fund themselves? Like Pelosi, and of course, Trump?

Open slather is the only sensible way.

[Image: AlrightInTheEnd.jpg?dl=0]

At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. - P J O'Rourke
07-12-2019, 05:12 PM
Watched that again, great movie, the sequel is on this week, have I missed it? ... I'll have a look ... nup, it's on tonight.
07-12-2019, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the tip. I've set the timer.

07-12-2019, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 07-12-2019 05:50 PM by dbeyat45.)
(07-12-2019 05:12 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  Watched that again, great movie, the sequel is on this week, have I missed it? ... I'll have a look ... nup, it's on tonight.

There's a superb line in it (which I can never remember) when Bill Nighy's wife is returning to England. I think they are in a cab ... see if you can pick it for me.

07-12-2019, 06:52 PM
I know the scene but can't recall the line. Was it along the lines of him saying how wonderful India was and her retorting it was only wonderful for him??? .. or something?
That was in the one last week.
07-12-2019, 07:09 PM
(07-12-2019 06:52 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  I know the scene but can't recall the line. Was it along the lines of him saying how wonderful India was and her retorting it was only wonderful for him??? .. or something?
That was in the one last week.

Or something about how she would contribute to some situation back home?