Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Uncharted territory
11-08-2019, 04:23 PM
Uncharted territory
This situation is very serious. Hope everyone is safe right now.

Some photos and graphics here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-08/n...s/11683632

Quote:Firefighters are in "uncharted territory" with a record number of fires burning at emergency level across NSW this afternoon and conditions set to worsen.

The NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) is desperately trying to protect properties around the state, with 15 blazes given emergency warning status and 50 burning out of control. RFS commissioner Shane Fitzsimmons said parts of the M1 motorway and the New England Highway were closed and he warned other road closures could leave people trapped.

"You've got to understand a lot of the access roads in and around many of these fires are more dangerous than staying in a shelter or a safer place in your local community or your property," he said. "The principal message is about sheltering and sheltering in place — it's simply too dangerous and too late to leave."

Mr Fitzsimmons said more than 1,000 firefighters and 70 aircraft had been deployed "to save as many people as possible". Mr Fitzsimmons also said the energy produced by each fire was influencing the behaviour of those nearby due to their close proximity, and most were spreading at twice the normal pace. Windy, dry and hot conditions have pushed the fire danger to extreme on the far north coast and in the New England region.

Between Forster, on the mid-north coast, and the Queensland border emergency warnings had been issued for fires at Wandsworth, Torrington, Nymboida, Tyringham, Buckra Bendinni, Willi Willi, the Tapin Tops National Park, the Crowdy Bay National Park, Port Macquarie, Hillville, Muck Creek and Bora Ridge.

A blaze is also burning at emergency level in the Woodford area of the Blue Mountains and those in the area are advised to seek shelter.

Residents around the bushfires at Hillville and the Crowdy Bay National Park, near Taree, have been advised to leave now or seek shelter as fire fighters and aircraft battle the blazes.

The blaze at Tyringham, west of Coffs Harbour is spreading quickly due to strong and gusty winds.

'Everything is on fire'

Yesterday, a bushfire came within metres of homes in Forster as terrified residents scrambled to flee.

"Everything is on fire and we're stuck in traffic," one woman was heard saying in a video posted to Facebook. "The fire has jumped across to Harvey Norman and it's burning everything there ... we saw two cars on fire over there."

NSW RFS deputy commissioner Rob Roger said the drought gripping the state had made for dire fire conditions.

"While we are dealing with some fires near properties, there are a lot of fires that are more remote that have been burning now for a month or six weeks and in some two months," he said. "Those fires have the potential to keep burning, getting bigger and coming out into populated areas."

Libertarians are like house cats. They are convinced of their fierce independence while utterly dependent on a system they neither appreciate nor understand.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2019, 04:44 PM
RE: Uncharted territory
Quote:The blaze at Tyringham, west of Coffs Harbour is spreading quickly due to strong and gusty winds.

That answers a question. Cuz took me up to Coffs today and you could barely see a 100 metres for smoke. It's everywhere on the coast, quite thick even down here but it got worse the closer we got to Coffs.

No one seemed to know where it was coming from, nor cared much, it's been smoky for weeks. It was kind of yellow up there, but not down here.
There's been unusual N.Easters blowing and they're taking the smoke right down along the coast. But they're also keeping them away from most of the towns on the coast. If they turn Westerly it could get interesting.

I remember a few years ago when there 200 burning at once in NSW so it's not unusual except that they're so close to the coast.

A neighbour in the block behind me is a volunteer and he's out with the local brigade. He's in his 70s but fit as a flea. He drives the truck. He's possibly the best I've ever seen at handling a caravan. He can back that thing around all the bends in the village and park it on a dime as the saying goes. He drives the community bus we got by a stroke of luck too. Every village needs a hero.
11-08-2019, 05:17 PM
QLD NEWS: List of evacuations for Bushfires

Tailoring the world economy around the climate cult's demands is akin to demolishing your house to avoid the risk of it catching fire one day.
11-08-2019, 06:17 PM
There'll be some millionaires worrying about their weekenders in Noosa.

It's turned yellow then orange here i the last hour or so but that's as much down to sunset behind the smoke as to the amount of it.

There was mention of a fire near Nambucca but no idea where or how close. Mack is charged up and I'm only 100 metres from the river if things get dire. (they won't)

The smoke is mainly coming from the one west of Bowraville out on South Arm road area. It's almost in line with Cuz's place but only if the wind shifts to WNW and that's unlikely. It's around 20kms from his place at the moment.
11-08-2019, 06:57 PM
It is really terrifying. The sight of the approaching smoke would be enough to put the wind up me.
Some of the photos that I have seen look like something from The inferno.

Libertarians are like house cats. They are convinced of their fierce independence while utterly dependent on a system they neither appreciate nor understand.
11-08-2019, 07:05 PM
There were at least few days like at Corindi, pretty often through summer. The fires were up in the hills and close to zero of reaching the coast. Some parts of the town would have gone up in minutes as the houses were built in among the old gums near the highway, but the part where I was fairly new and there wasn't a tree higher than 10 feet around the houses although there were plenty in the reserve behind the dunes.

I had cleared ground for blocks around the house so I was never nervous about the fires.

Not bothered here either. It's going to have to take out most of the town before it gets here and that's not going to be allowed to happen. I'm also near the bottom of a hill and fire goes up not down at least that's the story I'm settling for.

No ones worried about it here though, only those who have relatives out of the towns which is surprisingly many of us are worried for them.
11-08-2019, 07:07 PM
yep the smoke causes panic a lot round these 'ere parts too.
it could be 50km away or just around the corner .
hard to tell sometimes. Blush
11-08-2019, 09:54 PM
That's how it's been, no idea what direction the smoke's coming from in the still air.
11-10-2019, 10:46 AM
Much of this applies equally to Australia ....

Why Everything They Say About California Fires — Including That Climate Matters Most — Is Wrong

Tailoring the world economy around the climate cult's demands is akin to demolishing your house to avoid the risk of it catching fire one day.
11-10-2019, 02:34 PM
Forbes takes issue with my ad blocker, they apparently need ads more than I need to read their product.

Yeah, I know, user should pay, but I'm tight as a fishe's, and I only pay for what I choose to 'need'.