Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Weather Report
12-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Weather Report
This is a forecast from Monday. It predicts unbelievably high temperatures everywhere bar the coastal fringes. It should be manifesting from today. Let's see how it turns out. If it comes to pass I don't think I could accept the line that this is usual because we all experienced heat waves in the past. I don't remember ever seeing a chart where heat waves were happening on a continent wide basis. State wide, yes, but not this widespread.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environmen...48376.html

"It's great Matt Canavan is selling Kodak cameras but the reality is the iPhone is coming"
- Matt Kean NSW Minister for Energy & Environment.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2019, 01:28 PM
RE: Weather Report
we broke the hottest day record yesterday, set in 2013.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-18/b...d/11810632
12-18-2019, 06:46 PM
(12-18-2019 12:54 PM)Warri the Wombat Wrote:  This is a forecast from Monday. It predicts unbelievably high temperatures everywhere bar the coastal fringes. It should be manifesting from today. Let's see how it turns out. If it comes to pass I don't think I could accept the line that this is usual because we all experienced heat waves in the past. I don't remember ever seeing a chart where heat waves were happening on a continent wide basis. State wide, yes, but not this widespread.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environmen...48376.html

Can't read that. The "Independent" isn't ashamed to admit it's dependent on the wicked capitalist ad dollars and I've got ad blocker on and I'm certainly not disabling it to read something like the Indi.

Are you saying that it proves climate change? The same one that's been changing since the 1700s little ice age? or that it proves that Scomo caused it by not signing a scrap of paper and closing a coal mine somewhere?

Perhaps if I knew the context ??
12-18-2019, 08:21 PM
No, I'm saying it looks like Australia is about to get fried all over.

Don't fret about it.
Just keep reminding yourself that the hottest, driest continent has always been like this,
even before the Greenies caused the mega bushfires.

"It's great Matt Canavan is selling Kodak cameras but the reality is the iPhone is coming"
12-18-2019, 09:31 PM
Well, the Greenies have had longer to cause 'em than poor ole Scomo. [Image: yellow-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif]

I blame the weather people for making me forget what day it is!

The weather report said "...going to very hot and windy tomorrow, and worse still on Saturday"

So I flew into a panic joining the dots between tomorrow and Saturday and thought this must be Thursday.

I have a carer comes on Thursday and I wasn't even close to ready and.. then.. I thought... wait a sec.. its not Thursday!

Why would they word it like that, is it a conspiracy to confuse old people by deleting Friday from the report?? Dodgy

Dare I say it will be interssting to see how SA's energy system copes.
They can't say they won't be getting enough sunshine and I think the winds are gonna blow .. so that should be enough to keep all those air cons ticking the bills up.
They all went out an bought diesel gennys as back up so they'll be okay down there.

Haven't looked at the temps for here, nothing I can do about it so what's the point in knowing?
12-18-2019, 10:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2019 10:15 PM by Warri the Wombat.)
Yes. It will be a test for Sth Australia.
If it goes down we will hear about it.
If not, no comment most likely.

What about Victoria and NSW?
One power station in NSW is very close to the mega fire.
That is not good.

12-18-2019, 10:32 PM
Where on the fire scale does 'mega' sit? Cool

I wouldn't have seen it with my own eyes if I hadn't believed it.
12-18-2019, 10:39 PM
It's not good if their bunkered coal stock catches. Depends how much they have. Liddel had small mountains of it around but Bayswater had a conveyor belt set up to transport it in from a distance at call.
At least that's how I understood it to work. You can see the belt running parallel to the highway in some places. (or could). Cuz worked on it for a while from memory, and said that there are junctions to bring coal from several different locations to feed the power station without having to load up trucks.

Cuz's sister's house is built on a ridge above the river and has a view out over the valley. At night you'd swear it was overlooking a fair sized town, but it's Warkworth mine.
It's a massive operation yet in the daytime you can barely see anything it's all so neat and blends into the landscape among the low hills.
At night is when the true size of the site is seen. Prettiest that a coal mine ever gets. It looks like a mini Vegas. Liddel is quite a sight at night too. Lit up like a small tall city.
12-19-2019, 05:36 AM
(12-18-2019 10:32 PM)dbeyat45 Wrote:  Where on the fire scale does 'mega' sit? Cool

On the far right.

12-19-2019, 06:57 AM
Nah, the Far Right are saying "nuthin' to see here" aren't they? RolleyesCoolTongue

The Gospers Mtn biggy is going to be a mega headache although it's not covering as much ground as the north coast fire/s have yet.

Parts of the one/s behind here are still smouldering away waiting for the right wind to take off again. They'll burn until it rains.

But the 'Sydney' one is getting into denser population areas and that's a bigger worry.
I had a look at the Fires near Me page and it's now "going for Broke".
Pretty little valley that Broke is in, if it gets past there it'll be into wine grape country and that will distress a few.

I used to always have fires in mind driving up that Putty Road. Colo was one fire trap but it got worse further north. K after K of driving through thick timber in a narrow valley and absolutely no exit roads or places to shelter, bet that was closed well before the fire went through.

But Sydney is more concerned with the southern edge of that one though. The Central coast is in bigger danger but Sydney gets the headlines.