Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 1 Average
Corona virus put into perspective
01-26-2020, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2020 09:49 AM by Warri the Wombat.)
Corona virus put into perspective
Note, retweeting does not indicate endorsement but on Jan 26 I celebrate the irrepressible Australian trait of taking the mickey out of everything.

Quote:* Across Oz, RWNJs are looking at reports of the spread of the Corona virus, & muttering to themselves "What would these bloody medical experts know? We've always had viruses! I had the flu once, and I'm ok!! And Australia doing anything about it won't have any impact at all.."

* Apparently it has a 95% infection rate but only 3% will die from it
As we only make up 0.3% of the World's population, our efforts won't make a difference Let's just ignore it and wait for others to do the heavy lifting.

* Has anyone shown the costings? What if disease control impacts self-funded retirees?

* Milly, it's too soon to talk about the virus!

* It’s the Greens fault, they blocked the restriction of international flights.

* Why should Australia fight the Coronavirus?
As Australia is only 0.3% of the World's population, even if Australia was wiped off the map, China would replace us in 9 days.

* We should have carry over credit from SARS

O dear. I thought I was being funny. Then I read this -

* 43 flights will arrive in Australia from #China today. @ScottMorrisonMP says travellers will get instructions on what to do if they develop #coronavirus symptoms. But Border Security staff have been told “no mass temperature screening measures will be implemented at this time”

But I'm not scared. At just 43 flights per day from China, how many passengers would that be in two weeks, the incubation period for coronavirus ? How many would be Chinese tourists, travelling to multiple tourist sites? How many would be home again before they develop symptoms.

How much would it cost to use the scanners to detect elevated temperatures as the pass through customs? Hubby and I were scanned when we came home from a trip to China during the SARS epidemic so I know the technology exists.

Then there is this point of view.

[Image: nature-fights-back.jpg]

Yeah, yeah. I know that the cartoon is not scientifically accurate, but what the heck.
Being overly particular about the facts is seen as humorless, n'est pas?

"It's great Matt Canavan is selling Kodak cameras but the reality is the iPhone is coming"
- Matt Kean NSW Minister for Energy & Environment.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-26-2020, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2020 10:55 AM by dbeyat45.)
RE: Corona virus put into perspective
It seems that reports out of China are about as reliable as NASA temperatures ....

Don't EVER trust the government. We are on our own.

I wouldn't have seen it with my own eyes if I hadn't believed it.
01-26-2020, 11:24 AM
Which is why we shouldn't be trusting our luck at the border entry points.
It's not like Homeland Affairs doesn't have a big fat budget allocation, is it?

"It's great Matt Canavan is selling Kodak cameras but the reality is the iPhone is coming"
01-26-2020, 11:34 AM
funny thing i saw was the chinaman pressing the temperature sensor directly onto the forehead of a passenger.
good way to spread disease to the next passenger?
i thought they were meant to remotely take the temperature, -no physical contact ?
01-26-2020, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2020 12:16 PM by Di Wundrin.)
Quote:As Australia is only 0.3% of the World's population, even if Australia was wiped off the map, China would replace us in 9 days.

They got this one right!!

Quote:How much would it cost to use the scanners to detect elevated temperatures as the pass through customs? Hubby and I were scanned when we came home from a trip to China during the SARS epidemic so I know the technology exists.

I thought they've been operating since day one??

I've seen them in News reports from airports, which seemed to be here in Oz, and it showed the screens and how the faces register their temperaturs by the shade of colour in the blob. Passengers were scanned as they walked past the cameras and there was no way any of them were able to me missed by it.

So now we're not doing it?

Perhaps there was a protest from the Friends of China that it was discriminatory?? or was it from the Ratbag branch of the anti Racist Reactionaries? or Get-up claiming that scanning passengers from Asia was a One Nation plot?

This country is fast getting to the stage of offering credible competition to the great American psychosis.

What the hell "action" should Homeland Pete be taking? Parking the planes as far from the terminal as possible and lining up a firing squad to immediately take out anyone with a cold??

That cartoon is too pathetically far of the mark to rank above juvenile.

Sorry, but using a virus that mutated in inland China to symbolise that the suddenly sentient planet has turned into "Gaia" and is using it to punish the Australian Government for not bankrupting the country and so being responsible for the bushfires is just so ridiculously off kilter that I'm surprised you even posted it.

What did you see in it that I don't?? I see no ironic analogy in that at all. It's kindergarten grade obsessed lefty loony stuff, there are better 'toonists out there than that.WinkBig GrinTongue
01-26-2020, 03:51 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2020 03:58 PM by Warri the Wombat.)
I'll keep looking until I find a better selection.

Does this one please?

[Image: year-of-the-rat.jpg]

How about this one?

[Image: made-in-China.jpg]

01-26-2020, 04:37 PM
Better efforts. Big Grin

The 2nd one makes me grin. They're (the radio..logists) demanding we ban people from China but they're okay with everythng else that comes from there.... well,....except for their new flu.

I found it a bit hard to get excited about it. 45 deaths in China would be less than those who skewered themselve with a chopstock wouldn't it?

The numbers are kind of puny. 45 from 1 billion is ..umm?
01-26-2020, 04:46 PM
Have you heard of Poe's Law? I have only just discovered this new law of internet. I will have to include some sort of emoticon or some other indication of a tongue in cheek post. It will save a lot of confusion and stop me getting sucked in too.

01-26-2020, 08:52 PM (This post was last modified: 01-26-2020 08:52 PM by maxhr54.)
Looks like it can take 6 days for the symptoms to appear.
so people could be clear at the airport and still have it. ConfusedBlush

The zombie Apocalypse is nigh i tells ya.Blush

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-26/a...h/11901274
01-26-2020, 09:36 PM
I hadn't heard of Poe's Law but I've been aware of it's principles since I first found the wonders of the internet.

I've gotten into trouble for using emoticons, some old pedants in particular hate them. But they are literally the pictures that are worth a thousand words when it comes to intent in writing.

Sarcasm was always a risk, but deadly without them.

I'm in all sorts of trouble now with the Sherv site still down. I had another that was even better but it changed hands and then it was sending little virus' along with the smilies so I'm not going back to even check on that one.

back to the hunting if Sherv stays down too long.