Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Funding job ready degrees
06-24-2020, 07:56 PM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2020 08:10 PM by Warri the Wombat.)
Funding job ready degrees
How is it possible to reconcile the rhetoric and the funding figures revealed by the Dept of Education, Skills and Employment

[Image: funding-figures.jpg]

I thought the STEM (Science, technology, engineering and Maths) were to be promoted by increasing the student fees for humanities courses and reducing the cost of studying STEM.

Why then is there increased funding for Law and English studies but reduced funding for Maths, Engineering and Science courses?

Additionally HELP refers to student loans. The before and after figures for student loans do seem to be in line with promises. Students pay more for Law and Creative arts, Communications and less for English, Teaching, Nursing, Engineering, Maths and Science courses.

Still, the university must make do with less money to run the courses.

It’s amazing how somehow this fundamental human rights issue has become about statues.
The statues, and I cannot emphasise this enough, do not care. Jon Kudelka
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-24-2020, 08:02 PM
RE: Funding job ready degrees
What's the problem? the odd one in the list is communications.
what is that exacterly?
06-24-2020, 08:05 PM
Is that list for funding, or fees?? I thought as you did and that would reflect the fee changes roughly, but I know nothing about the funding amounts.

There was an ambiguous 'banner' that indicated that Maths fees would rise and funding fall, which didn't make sense but what they were talking about at the time was a reduction in fees, not funding. Maybe the headline banner writer was as confused as I am about it?

It does make sense to use Uni places for more productive education than the Yarts.
When you think about it, those in the Yarts are crying poor for the rest of their lives so therefore must never earn enough to have to pay back their HECS fees anyway so why give them a cut when their places could be better taken by someone who will actually find a real job?

(yeah, I'm stirring.)
06-24-2020, 10:30 PM
(06-24-2020 08:05 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  [ Snip ]
(yeah, I'm stirring.)

How much of your Stirring HECS debt is still unpaid?

Now I’ve finished my astrology degree, who knows what the future holds?
06-24-2020, 10:45 PM
To the best of my understanding Federal refers to money contributed by the Feds and HELP is what the students pay (or a debt they incur) but I could be wrong about that. Not sure where HECS fits in to this funding model.

The total would be the total amount the university would have to run the course. I think that is why they need overseas students to make up any shortfall. Not much chance of many of them right now.

It’s amazing how somehow this fundamental human rights issue has become about statues.
06-24-2020, 11:09 PM
(06-24-2020 10:30 PM)dbeyat45 Wrote:  
(06-24-2020 08:05 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  [ Snip ]
(yeah, I'm stirring.)

How much of your Stirring HECS debt is still unpaid?

I was Home Schooled. CoolBig GrinTongue
06-25-2020, 09:33 AM
i have trouble understanding why uni degrees are so expensive.
The majority of the courses could be digitised and put online.
the textbooks could be downloaded to kindle at far lower cost.
I have heard the argument Universities do research.
I fail to see the link between the student and the research.
What is the reason for (say) a history student paying a small fortune to fund a cancer cure?
06-25-2020, 09:45 AM
I'm out. Zero knowledge of how Unis work.
06-25-2020, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 06-25-2020 10:52 AM by Warri the Wombat.)
I think most research is funded by grants that must be applied for from outside sources.

I have studied for my BSc with Macquarie Uni by both distance learning and by attending lectures in the evening. I found I could cope with distance learning for chemistry and other science courses but the maths and computing were almost impossible that way.

For the distance learning we were still required to spend a week each semester doing the practical work at the uni. These sessions coincided with uni mid semester breaks. The geology courses required field trips as well as laboratory work. So did the botany courses. Course content was delivered by means of audio tapes and printed notes. Today it could be delivered via the internet or on a USB stick but many students only have connection via a mobile phone. I suppose they could cast the video to a TV. Anything is possible today and change is the only certainty in these times.

I'm not stupid but studying any subject, let alone advanced maths and chemistry by distance learning is not at all easy. If this was the only option, I reckon half the students would drop out. Hardly helpful if we want to develop our own skilled work force.

06-26-2020, 01:05 PM
If the topic of University funding has your eyeballs rolling backwards, here is more of the same.

It appears that the way the government had organised cheaper courses for some subjects and higher fees for humanities could have the perverse effect of causing universities to increase the number of humanities students as a way to offset overall budget constraints.

To prevent this happening Dan Tehan has announced that the Integrity Unit, designed to watch out for bogus contracts, will now be watching for shifts in enrolment patters.

That is the potted version as I have absorbed it but there is a more fulsome version in the link below.

My gut tells me that whoever designed the changes is good with a spreadsheet but not so good at anticipating human behaviour. Should have included someone with a humanities degree on the panel

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne...re_btn_tw?