Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Russian bounty on US soldiers in Afghanistan
06-28-2020, 10:48 AM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2020 10:49 AM by Warri the Wombat.)
Russian bounty on US soldiers in Afghanistan
This is all over the news

Short version of the story - In March this year the White House was provided with an intelligence report that said that Russia (read Putin) had offered the Taliban a bounty for killing US soldiers. Some of those bounties had been collected.

Several retaliation strategies against the Kremlin were proposed at the time. None were adopted. Trump and Pence both deny receiving the intelligence report. After (not?) receiving said report Trump had a phone call with Putin and shortly thereafter began calling for Russia to be reinstated as a member of the G7 club[/quote]. Russia was kicked out of the G8 after annexing part of Crimea from Ukraine.

The Taliban and the Kremlin both deny the substance of the intelligence report.

Quote:The news comes after the US reached an initial peace deal with the Taliban, which aimed for the full withdrawal of the US military from the war-torn country within just over a year. The pact was supposed to kickstart talks between the rebels and the Afghan government but they have not materialized.

The unit that US officials have reportedly identified as responsible for the bounties has also been linked to the poisoning of Sergei Skripal, a former Russian spy, in Britain in 2018, which triggered a huge diplomatic dispute between Moscow and London.

Trump’s relationship with Russia has been the source of much scandal and frustration with US allies, especially in Europe.

Russia’s attempts to interfere with the 2016 US election were part of the basis of the Robert Mueller investigation that dogged much of Trump’s time in office. He has repeatedly flown in the face of his own intelligence briefings to say that he believes Russian denials of meddling in US affairs, and has touted his close relationship with Putin as a benefit to the US. He has also pushed for Russia to be allowed back into the G7 group of major industrial powers, while at the same questioning the role of NATO.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020...rt-outrage

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53204747

It’s amazing how somehow this fundamental human rights issue has become about statues.
The statues, and I cannot emphasise this enough, do not care. Jon Kudelka
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2020, 01:50 PM
RE: Russian bounty on US soldiers in Afghanistan
Quote:This is all over the news

Short version of the story - In March this year the White House was provided with an intelligence report that said that Russia (read Putin) had offered the Taliban a bounty for killing US soldiers. Some of those bounties had been collected.

What isn't 'all over the News' according to the Gardy is the history behind this. It's payback.

The Taliban was organised by the US to combat the Russian occupation of Afgho. They were armed and given 'bounties' for dead Russians and encouraged to 'liberate' their Country by terror tactics.
They obliged in spades.

There were tales of the Taliban half skinning Russian soldiers and dropping them off along the road to be found smothered in their own skins.

Luverly people. Do you see the pattern here?
See why Putin may think along the goose/gander line??

The Poms paid the American Indians for scalps too. They never did that before, and probably the Taliban didn't take bounties before the Americans introduced them to the practice.

It's no credit to anyone in this story but let's at least have the whole story eh?
06-28-2020, 02:28 PM
(06-28-2020 01:50 PM)Di Wundrin Wrote:  [ Snip ]
It's no credit to anyone in this story but let's at least have the whole story eh?

Is there a website I can visit to find that? Idea

Now I’ve finished my astrology degree, who knows what the future holds?
06-28-2020, 03:21 PM
No idea, I remember it from the time as it was so horrible. The whole CIA involvement didn't spring to light until years later so it's not all from one 'source' other than my memory files.
06-28-2020, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2020 04:21 PM by Warri the Wombat.)
I haven't heard of this before now. Do you suppose there are many American vets who know about it?

I've tried searching but to no avail. I suspect a filter on the search engine. Otherwise, the more recent news is swamping it.

Wikileaks might be the source of this information but I cannot find any reference to it, not even in Wikipedia.

It’s amazing how somehow this fundamental human rights issue has become about statues.
06-28-2020, 04:24 PM
American 'vets' weren't there then Warri. It was a 'black ops' against the Russians who had invaded Afgho to 'liberate' them back in the 70s if I recall correctly.
06-28-2020, 04:26 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2020 04:42 PM by Warri the Wombat.)
So I should search using CIA and Afghanistan. Will try that.

There is material about covert US operations in Afghanistan against the communists. Earliest reference seems to be 1979 when Carter was president.

Quote: Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_activi...t_action_2

Covert action[edit]

Communists under the leadership of Nur Muhammad Taraki seized power in Afghanistan on April 27, 1978.[8] The new regime—which was divided between Taraki's extremist Khalq faction and the more moderate Parcham—signed a treaty of friendship with the Soviet Union in December of that year.[8][9] Taraki's efforts to improve secular education and redistribute land were accompanied by mass executions (including of many conservative religious leaders) and political oppression unprecedented in Afghan history, igniting a revolt by mujahideen rebels.[8] Following a general uprising in April 1979, Taraki was deposed by Khalq rival Hafizullah Amin in September.[8][9] Amin was considered a "brutal psychopath" by foreign observers; even the Soviets were alarmed by the brutality of the Afghan communists, and suspected Amin of being an agent of the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), although that was not the case.[8][9][10] By December, Amin's government had lost control of much of the country, prompting the Soviet Union to invade Afghanistan, execute Amin, and install Parcham leader Babrak Karmal as president.[8][9]

Reagan followed Carter but what you described was in the 70's ?

06-28-2020, 07:21 PM
Whenever the Russians were there. Wish I could remember where I read about it but I can't. It was back in the day though, current at the time so probably a paper.
The image I gleaned from the description is all that sprang to mind when I read about the bounties now. It rang a bell as the saying goes. Wish it hadn't really. The much later connections revealed about the ops that funded the Taliban to fight the Russians came out many years later.
The dots connect that the Russians wouldn't have forgotten that.
06-28-2020, 08:41 PM
Osama bin Liner was funded by the americans to fight russians wasn't he?
06-28-2020, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2020 09:38 PM by Warri the Wombat.)
I think it was the Mujahadeen, not Osama bin Laden. He came later and wanted to wage war on US and all infidels.

Quote:Mujahideen, Arabic mujāhidūn, members of a number of guerrilla groups operating in Afghanistan during the Afghan War (1979–92) that opposed the invading Soviet forces and eventually toppled the Afghan communist government.