Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Operation Cyclone in Afghanistan 1979 to 1989
07-01-2020, 02:59 PM
Operation Cyclone in Afghanistan 1979 to 1989
I have been disturbed by Di's reference to US covertly paying Afghan rebels to kill Russians and atrocities that were the result.

I have been searching for credible confirmation, even enquired on a US forum to see if anyone knew anything about such reports. As was to be expected, total silence.

Finally I cracked the right combination of search words on Google and found a report on Wikipedia that is somewhat relevant.

From 1979 US and other countries, UK, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia were pumping money into any groups opposed too USSR influence.

Full account here but I haven't yet explored any of the references in the foot notes. The code name was Operation Cyclone. If sowing the wind reaps the whirlwind, what is the effect of planting a cyclone?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cyclone#Funding

It’s amazing how somehow this fundamental human rights issue has become about statues.
The statues, and I cannot emphasise this enough, do not care. Jon Kudelka
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2020, 03:30 PM
RE: Operation Cyclone in Afghanistan 1979 to 1989
I never took notice of the details but this seems to bear out what people have been dismissing as a 'conspiracy theory' that the US 'created' the Taliban and funded them to kill Russians.
Quote:
More than $20 billion in U.S. funds were funneled into the country to train and arm the Afghan resistance groups.[53]

The program funding was increased yearly due to lobbying by prominent U.S. politicians and government officials, such as Charles Wilson, Gordon Humphrey, Fred Ikle, and William Casey. Under the Reagan administration, U.S. support for the Afghan mujahideen evolved into a centerpiece of U.S. foreign policy, called the Reagan Doctrine, in which the U.S. provided military and other support to anti-communist resistance movements in Afghanistan, Angola, and Nicaragua.[citation needed]

The mujahideen benefited from expanded foreign military support from the United States, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, United Kingdom and other Muslim nations. Saudi Arabia in particular agreed to match dollar for dollar the money the CIA was sending to the Mujahideen. When Saudi payments were late, Wilson and Avrakotos would fly to Saudi Arabia to persuade the monarchy to fulfil its commitments.[54]

Levels of support to the various Afghan factions varied. The ISI tended to favor vigorous Islamists like Hekmatyar's Hezb-i-Islami and Haqqani. Some Americans agreed.[54][55] However others favored the relative moderates like Ahmed Shah Massoud. These included two Heritage Foundation foreign policy analysts, Michael Johns and James A. Phillips, both of whom championed Massoud as the Afghan resistance leader most worthy of US support under the Reagan Doctrine.[56][57][58]
Aftermath

After the withdrawal of Soviet troops, the U.S. shifted its interest from Afghanistan . American funding of Hekmatyar and his Hezb-i-Islami party was cut off immediately.[59] The U.S. also reduced its assistance for Afghan refugees in Pakistan.[citation needed]

Bit dots to join eh?
07-01-2020, 04:52 PM
We have to be careful about conflating the Mujahideen, ISIS and the Taliban. To us they all seem the same but they are/were fighting similar enemies but for different reasons.

It’s amazing how somehow this fundamental human rights issue has become about statues.
07-01-2020, 06:34 PM
Even the experts have trouble keeping up with who's calling themselves what over there.
But from what I remember, the Taliban were 'created' from recruitment from other outfits... that's a very old memory file though.
07-01-2020, 07:05 PM
The Taliban were no friends of ISIS, as far as I remember.

07-01-2020, 08:38 PM
None of them are 'friends', they're all ratbags.

While I think of it, heard an interesting twist on M.E. relationships the other day.

How silly would anyone have to be to think that Saudi Arabia would back Israel over it's treatment of Palestine??

Ridiculous right? Mortal enemies.

But apparently there is a bit of horse trading going on between them to keep Palestine from getting it's head up.

Why?? ... well, Palestine is funded and armed by who?? ...Iran.
Who hates Iran?
Israel, about half as much as Saudi Arabia hates them.
Who else hates them? The USA who is thick as thieves with both Israel and the Saudis.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

Do yourself a favour, don't try and figure the M.E. out. There is no logic in chaos.
07-01-2020, 09:24 PM
(07-01-2020 07:05 PM)Warri the Wombat Wrote:  The Taliban were no friends of ISIS, as far as I remember.

Trump's strategy is best: Leave them all to it. Idea

Now I’ve finished my astrology degree, who knows what the future holds?