Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dodgy as...
07-27-2020, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2020 03:38 PM by Warri the Wombat.)
Dodgy as...
This thread is somewhere to post reasons why independent commissions against corruption are a necessity

#1 Shine Energy $4million grant

Quote:Shine Energy invited to apply for Collinsville power station grant two days after securing it

Exclusive: Federal government gave proponent of coal-fired power plant a $4m grant despite having no energy sector experience

The proponent of a coal-fired power station at Collinsville in north Queensland was asked to lodge an application for a $4m feasibility study grant two days after it had already been publicly announced as the recipient.

The government’s support for the project has broadly been considered a concession to pro-coal Nationals and an effective political wedge in Queensland coal country.

Guardian Australia has been investigating how Shine Energy managed to secure the grant of up to $4m for a feasibility study, despite having no energy sector experience and having never completed a project.

An initial business case submitted by Shine in late 2018 did not meet the criteria to be shortlisted for the government’s flagship power generation scheme, the Underwriting New Generation Investment program.

That same day the shortlist was announced – during the federal election campaign in March, 2019 – the government established a secondary $10m program to subsidise projects in north and central Queensland, the Supporting Reliable Energy Infrastructure program.

On 8 February this year, the energy minister, Angus Taylor, released a joint statement with three colleagues – deputy prime minister Michael McCormack, northern Australia minister Keith Pitt and Capricornia MP Michelle Landry – announcing Shine Energy would be given funding from the grant program.

“This delivers on an election commitment with grant funding,” the statement said.

This week, the Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources confirmed Shine was contacted two days after the announcement and then invited to apply.

“On 8 February 2020, the government announced the first three projects to be pursued under the Supporting Reliable Energy Infrastructure program, including up to $4m to support Shine Energy Pty Ltd’s feasibility study for a proposed 1GW … coal plant at Collinsville in Queensland,” the department said in a statement.

“On 10 February 2020, Shine Energy [was] asked to submit an application seeking support from the Supporting Reliable Energy Infrastructure program by the Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources.”

While the government notionally awarded the funding to Shine Energy under a formal scheme, the department developed specific grant guidelines for the company – suggesting grants from the program were awarded on an ad hoc basis, rather than via a competitive process.

“It is normal practice for specific grant guidelines to be developed for a one-off or ad hoc grant,” the department said.

“All grant opportunity guidelines (competitive or ad hoc) are specific to the program and designed by the relevant portfolio agency, following the seven key principles for grants administration as set out in the commonwealth grant rules and guidelines, for their specific program.”

In his statement on 8 February, Taylor said that an “independent strategic study” had identified system strength was a concern in central and north Queensland, and that new generation was a priority to meet the needs of energy customers.

The Queensland government, which manages the state’s electricity grid, has said it was not aware of any study that showed additional coal-fired generation was needed in the north of the state.

The state’s most recent analysis showed that any new coal-fired power station would require a wholesale price of $120 per megawatt hour (MWh) – double the current average wholesale price in Queensland.

In its own systems plan, the Australian Energy Market Operator said that due to a surge in renewable connections in north Queensland and an “energy surplus”, any large-scale generator connections would not be efficient until other power generators were shut off.

A spokesman for Taylor said the 8 February announcement had “stated which organisations were eligible to apply for funding” under the program. The department claims the grant – reduced to $3.3m – was then formally awarded to Shine in June.

However, the February announcement clearly said the projects had been awarded funding.

“We are delivering on our election commitments and investing in the future with up to $4 million to investigate the feasibility of a [coal plant],” Pitt said in the February statement.

Landry said in the same statement: “I’m glad to see the money to support job-creating projects will start to flow.”

Shine Energy was also contacted and offered the opportunity to comment.

The company’s proposal has appeared to stutter in recent weeks. The chief executive, Ashley Dodd, a Birriah traditional owner, accused the government of attempting to “white clad” the company by replacing him with an Anglo-Saxon.

The government has not yet paid any grant funding to Shine, amid a dispute about the amount. The company was offered $3.3m in June based on an assessment by the department but is seeking the full $4m initially announced.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...ecuring-it

Federal ICAC now ? !!!!!

Addendum

#2 Shine Energy Grant now stalled.

Follow this one up for yourselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne...pany-stall

Exactly what is going on up there in Queensland ? What happened to the election commitment?

"When your opponent is destroying himself, don't interrupt him." Napoleon
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2020, 03:57 PM
RE: Dodgy as...
"Shine Energy is a First Nation Traditional Owner company with a vision to bring energy solutions to councils, regional communities, off-grid communities, commercial and industrial businesses and the mining sector.

We aim to reduce electricity costs for our clients and reduce their carbon footprint by delivering energy solutions that will increase their economic and social benefits."

https://www.shineenergy.com.au/about-us
07-27-2020, 04:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2020 04:24 PM by Warri the Wombat.)
The fact is they are not likely to see the money promised in February.
It appears that they have been used.
Or perhaps not... ???

From their own website dated June 20 (under NEWS).

Quote:$3.3m invested in proposed NQ coal power station announced by Minister Angus Taylor

THE benefits of a new high efficiency, low emission coal-fired power station in North Queensland will soon be scrutinised under a new $3.3 million research scheme to determine its feasibility.

Minister for Energy and Emissions Reduction Angus Taylor this week announced the news, revealing Shine Energy's proposed 1GW HELE project in Collinsville is among a series of projects set to receive initial funding.

As part of the Morrison government's $10 million Supporting Reliable Energy Infrastructure program, it is hoped the study will highlight the project's "affordable and reliable" outcome for users. I'm betting the favourable report is already written. Am I a terrible person?

However, the significant boost is not the first attempt to secure funding for the research.

Central Queensland's National Party politicians including Capricornia MP Michelle Landry worked to secure $4 million earlier this year in support of the same study. That figure was last week dropped to the now $3.3 million total.

HELE technology (High energy low emissions) - the coal burning method which underpins the LNP's new power station plan - is expected to reduce energy prices and improve reliability across regional Queensland.

Minister Taylor said new energy generation in Central and North Queensland is key to driving down prices and bolstering system strength - something he claimed has historically proven a concern in the region.

"Our plan to unlock investment in new, reliable generation capacity in Queensland will keep the lights on and lower prices to better support households in North Queensland and our commercial and industrial sector so they can employ more Australians and keep our economy strong," he said.

Federal Member for Capricornia Michelle Landry welcomed the development, saying proof of the Australian Government's support for the coal industry was further cemented following its latest investment.

"I'm pleased that the Australian Government is supported these two worthwhile and integral feasibility studies for the Urannah Water Scheme and Shine Energy's HELE coal plant."

"These two projects stand to deliver lower energy costs for hardworking regional Australians and will provide a boost in local job numbers," Ms Landry said.

$2 million in funding for a pre-feasibility study on a proposed 1.5GW pumped hydro-electric plant at the Urannah Water Scheme has also been approved under the program.

Why am I suspicious? Two words - Angus and Taylor.

07-27-2020, 08:05 PM
As far as i know none of the mainstream generators want to touch a coal fired plant.
Renewables are cheaper.
The money is for a feasibility study, - a bone tossed during the election campaign.
and beside that electricity is a state government responsibilty innit?
07-27-2020, 08:58 PM
(07-27-2020 08:05 PM)maxhr54 Wrote:  As far as i know none of the mainstream generators want to touch a coal fired plant.
Renewables are cheaper.
The money is for a feasibility study, - a bone tossed during the election campaign.

[Image: LaughingOrangutans.jpg?dl=0]

Now I’ve finished my astrology degree, who knows what the future holds?
07-27-2020, 09:58 PM
(07-27-2020 08:05 PM)maxhr54 Wrote:  As far as i know none of the mainstream generators want to touch a coal fired plant.
Renewables are cheaper.

That was my thoughts on it too, it's been Pally giving coal mines the grief up there.

...and no Max, there is no Santa Claus and renewables aren't cheaper.
They run on government subsidies.
Those cheap prices are paid for at the expense of other services which can't be funded with the billions shovelled into the pockets of the renewables investors.

You're not that gullible are you? You've watched that Moore movie?
And heeded Don and I ranting about this for years?
Giving someone 1,000 bucks then buying back from them what you paid for, for 500 doesn't mean it's cheaper, it means you just paid 1500 for 500 worth of electricity.
Quote:Warri:

Why am I suspicious? Two words - Angus and Taylor.

There's a coincidence!! the two words Dan and Andrews make me suspicious about all the corruption that's led Victoria to hell.
Small world eh? Smile
07-27-2020, 10:03 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2020 10:04 PM by Warri the Wombat.)
Please be more specific.
Some hint of the corruption of which you speak.
Are you on about the CFMEU again?

P.S. If you have forgotten I could refresh your memory about Angus Taylor.

07-27-2020, 10:19 PM
No, my memory is okay, your's seems a little short term though.
I laid out in pretty fine detail the chronology of Vic. Labor's corrupt practices starting with the fraudulent use of government funded office staff to deliver Labor party campaign brochures, through the branch stacking fiasco and scandal, the untendered granting of the contract for the Hotel quarantine security to a 'mate'.( which is not unlike what you allege Taylor is up to)
Then it just descended into a sad tragedy of errors caused by cover ups etc which if you're not following it there's no point to listing them.

I'm a bit miffed that you've completely forgotten my rant about Dan though. Got me worrying now that I forgot to hit the button and never posted it or something.ConfusedUndecidedHuh
07-27-2020, 10:24 PM
If it was in one of your very lengthy posts then I confess I probably gave up after the second paragraph. I just let you rant on because it drains me too much fact checking and answering every point with which I disagree. I'm getting older every year, as we all are, but I'm aging faster than I used to.

Less words would suit me much better.

07-27-2020, 11:05 PM
(07-27-2020 10:24 PM)Warri the Wombat Wrote:  If it was in one of your very lengthy posts then I confess I probably gave up after the second paragraph. I just let you rant on because it drains me too much fact checking and answering every point with which I disagree. I'm getting older every year, as we all are, but I'm aging faster than I used to.

Less words would suit me much better.

Your posts don't show that.

#MeToo. I've always been a hit-and-run guy. Shy

Now I’ve finished my astrology degree, who knows what the future holds?